I have spent quite some time over the last couple of evenings wrestling with this one. I have never looked at custom intents before; it was also my first attempt at developing in Swift, as I’ve finally realised that there is no point in trying to cling on to Objective C any more.
I caused a runtime error with an incorrect array value assignment in the class that implements the intent handler response which, by virtue of the fact that it’s running in a different process to the app, isn’t visible (the clue I missed here being that you don’t see any print statements either).
While this pointed me in the right direction, here are more exhaustive steps that worked for me, using the simulator:
- Assumed starting point: you have all of your wiring set up, with the intents definition, the extension, the two intents classes (identifying the intent called and the handler) at least started, if not fully working, and you have the intent donation in your viewController.
- Run the app normally, fire up the shortcuts app, and configure your app specific action. I.e., the point you would normally see the communication error.
- Stop the app, change to the intent target, and run again. In the pop up list displaying ‘Choose an app to run’, pick Siri.
- Execute the shortcut using the verbal command that you have registered and you should see any intent specific runtime issues in the log.
One other gotcha for me was related to the fact that I have an absolute bare bones implementation as I want to use the shortcut via my HomePod – so no UI for the intent. On the simulator (running the app target normally, and having eliminated my runtime error), I was able to get the intent to run just by launching the shortcut.
On my iPhone, if I tried to run the intent from the lock screen donation, it timed out. My best guess for this is that I’m not doing anything in the app delegate, combined with the fact that the app isn’t in the background – yet – per the checkbox setting in the intent definition file. So I manually stopped the app from running (from Xcode), went back to the donation and it worked.